Monday 21 May 2018

My wisdom teeth extraction

When I was advised to have my wisdom teeth extracted, I was pretty worried. I personally do not like the dentist. I hate having people’s fingers in my mouth along with metal tools for poking and prodding. My mother reassured me that I could get put under general anesthesia. This medical gas or liquid puts the user to sleep until the procedure is completed. I had the option of getting a numbing shot or being put under, and without any thought, I chose to be put under, so I was not conscious of the fingers in my mouth. 


One day at the dentist, the operator told me that I should get my wisdom teeth extracted. I was not too keen on that as I do not like the dentist already. Any long-lasting procedure would be a problem for me. The surgeon gave us a recommendation to an office that could perform the process, and we set up an appointment. When the appointment was nearing, I got nervous because I did not fully understand what was going to happen. The morning of my mother drove, my older sister tagged along and me. When we arrived at the office, we spoke to the receptionist, and they had us fill out some paperwork. My mom chose to do it herself. When she turned in the paperwork, it was only a few minutes before I was called back. 



When I was called back, a cute surgeon brought me to the operating room where my extraction would take place. They ran me through what the procedure was going to entail. Once they finished explaining to me, they inserted a needle into my left arm and told me to count down from ten to one. When I began counting down, I felt my veins by the needle get cold. I only got to seven before passing out.

The next thing I knew, I was awake and in pain. Being loopy, I asked them to remove the sword from my arm. I had thought the needle was a sword. I was in some pain, but I was very loopy. When you get off of general anesthesia, you are left with a high. I was saying some rather funny things. I remember the pain I had behind my molars. The dental surgeon told me that I could not quickly eat or drink for the next five or so hours as the pain would be too much. They gave my mother a prescription for pain medication. When we left the office as we were driving, I remember saying some peculiar things. I made my older sister laugh for almost half an hour. We went to steak and shake to get me a shake. I got a cookie and cream one as it sounded amazing. I realized the dentist was right, and it was a bit more challenging to drink the shake, so I opted to use a spoon to eat it. For the next few days, I was just sitting around and taking pain medication. 





I am glad to have had my wisdom teeth pulled at a younger age, so I won’t need to worry about it as I get older. Our insurance was able to cover almost the whole procedure. We only had to pay a few hundred, which, if you ask me, seems great for a dental procedure. The pain only lasted for a few days. Plus, I got to miss a few days of school, and who is going to complain about that?


No comments:

Post a Comment